Monday, October 20, 2014

Theresa McDaniel, New Farm Girl a Long Way From Long Beach!

I grew up on the beaches of California enjoying hot summers and winters that would find me hanging Christmas lights in shorts and having to drive hundreds of miles north to see snow in the winter.  When I was asked to come out here to South Carolina to do some work on my masters, I thought that it would be a parallel experience just trading one coast for another.

This past week has found me doing a lot of talking (I am ok with that, many people say that I never shut up!), digging through garbage (I am less ok with this, but I like to think of myself as being open to new things and down to accomplish missions!) and handling worms (this one stretched my mind a bit...)

I never thought I would be doing anything like this.  Nor did I ever think that I would ever like something like this.  Yes, I said like.  It is more the competitor in me than the latent "farm girl".  I like to see things accumulate.  I like to see things build up and form.

The average earthworm
can eat its own weight in food every day and, like a 2nd grader, I like to watch them work.  I like to see things that were once there, gone and changed into more useful stuff.

I read somewhere that worms can be the hardest workers on the farm.  It is somewhat true.  Keep them warm and moist and well fed and they will do amazing things for you.

In about two weeks, we are going to do our first "harvest" of their castings.  They are going to be bagged and sold and we will go on from there.  Much the same way I feel about Tetris, where I like to see the blocks stack up, I will watch the bags stack up and then go out the door.

That is what the farm and work overall are all about, I guess, watching the things you put your time and work into pay off.





We have nearly 50 pounds of worms just working away at Corner Stone Farms and as long as we can keep them happy, we will have twice that amount very soon and then twice again soon after that.  We are off to a good start, but we are a long way from home and so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment